A Guide to Visiting Paris in August 2022 | Attractions, Weather & Museums
Paris, the City of Love, is home to many world-famous attractions. The city needs no introduction as it is a popular vacation destination for all kinds of travelers. From the Eiffel Tower to Disneyland, the city features a wide range of destinations for visitors to explore throughout the year. But if you are planning to visit Paris in August, you are in for a treat. With various outdoor festivals and activities, August is one of the best months to visit Paris, and here's everything you need to know to plan your trip to Paris in August!
Is August a good time to visit Paris?
August is easily one of the best months to plan a trip to Paris. The summer weather is pleasant to explore all the attractions in Paris with 10 hours of daylight every day.
Why You Should Visit
- The temperature ranging between 25° C and 15° C can be both pleasant and relaxing.
- It is the best time to enjoy open-air events in Paris such as Paris Plages, Open-Air Cinema Festival, Musical Festivals, and more.
- There are fewer tourists in the city as the summer holiday season is over.
- Enjoy a stroll through the streets and shorter lines outside the attractions.
What to Look Out For
- The weather is slightly cool, especially during the night and in the morning.
- Humidity is high in August with chances of rainfall.
- Hotel and flight fares are higher as it is a popular vacation time for the locals.
Overview of Weather in Paris in August
More About Weather in Paris in August
How hot is Paris in August?
August weather in Paris is warm and pleasant with an average temperature high of 25°C and an average temperature low of 15°C.
Can You Swim in Paris in August?
Yes, this is a great time to enjoy swimming in Paris as the average water temperature is around 27°C. Although swimming in the Seine isn’t allowed, you will find several open-air swimming pools available in Paris in August to cool off during the month.
Does it rain in Paris in August?
The chances of rainfall in Paris in August are high with approximately 12.3 rainy days. However, when it is not raining, the city enjoys up to 10 hours of daylight every day.
Is Paris Windy in August?
No. Since the average wind speeds in Paris in August reach up to just 6.2 mph, it is not that windy.
Best Things to do in Paris in August
9. Notre Dame Cathedral
Visit this palatial Roman Catholic cathedral that is famous for its Gothic-style architecture, domed roof, and amazing gargoyle sculptures. Take a guided tour of this cathedral to learn more about the highlights and stories of this place that has become a popular tourist destination in Paris.
August Timings: Daily from 8:00 AM – 6:45 PM
Festivals in Paris in August
Date: 15 August 2022
One of the most important days for Catholics all over the world, Assumption Day is an important celebration in Paris too. This day is celebrated all over the world in the honor of a vision of Mary in a cave seen by a little girl in Lourdes in 1858. On this day, people in Paris visit churches, hold communal dinners, and spend time enjoying the festivities around the city.
Liberation of Paris
Date: 25 August 2022
Another annual celebration in Paris that you must attend is Liberation of Paris Day. This day commemorates the freedom of Paris from Nazi forces in 1944. Throughout the day, the city celebrates with flag raise, a celebratory parade, homage to the fallen soldiers, and lots of music and dancing in the evening.
Events in Paris in August
Paris Punk Rock Summer
Venue: Petit Bain
Date: 1 August 2022 – 3 August 2022
For music lovers, one of the top things to do in Paris in August is to attend the Paris Punk Rock Summer concert. This two-day event will bring some really famous artists such as Belvedere, Anti-Flag, Grade 2, Circle Jerks, etc. to perform for the audience. So, if you want to party hard in August, then this is the best event to attend.
Know Before You Visit Paris in August
What to Wear in Paris in August
- Paris in August weather is warm and pleasant so, lightweight summer clothes will be ideal for wearing when exploring the city.
- You can wear summer clothes such as shorts, tees, trousers, skirts, dresses, and more. Do carry a light shrug or jacket to wear at night or early morning when it is slightly cooler.
- For those who are going to spend a lot of time on the beaches in Paris, beachwear is also a must.
- Don’t forget to wear comfortable shoes as you will be walking a lot in the city.
- Since there are high chances of rainfall, keep an umbrella handy at all times.
What to Pack in Paris in August
- Power Adapter: Type C and E plug.
- Clothes: Shorts, Trousers, Skirts, Dresses, T-shirts, Beachwear, Light jacket, etc.
- Comfortable shoes or sandals for walking
- Sunscreen, hat, and umbrella for protection against the sun.
- Carry a daypack to store essential items such as power bank, shrug, water bottle, etc. when exploring the city.
Getting Around Paris in August
By Metro – Paris is divided into 6 zones that are well-connected by a metro. It is the cheapest and most convenient way to explore the city. Another highlight of the metro is that you can travel outside the city limits with a metro ticket.
By Bus – There are bus stops throughout the city that can be used to reach different attractions in Paris. For night owls and party enthusiasts, night buses are also a good option for tourists.
By RER and Tram – If you are traveling in the suburbs of Paris, then RER and Trams are the best options for local exploration.
By Cab – One of the most expensive yet comfortable ways of touring around Paris and nearby area is by hiring a cab.
Where to Stay in Paris in August
Paris is a popular tourist destination with a wide range of accommodation options for every budget. Here are a few top places to stay in Paris in August:
Budget Hotels: Paris Hotel, Joe & Joe Paris, Le Bellevue, ibis Styles Puteaux Paris La Defense, L’imprimerie Hotel
Mid-Range: Hotel Lorette, Hotel 34B – Astotel, Les Plumes Hotel, XO Hotel Paris, Hotel Maison Mere
Luxury Hotels: The Westin Paris – Vendome, Pullman Paris Tour Eiffel, Hilton Paris Opera, Sofitel Paris Baltimore Tour Eiffel
What to eat in Paris in August
Foie Gras – A popular yet controversial French dish to eat in Paris is Foie Grass. Made from the liver of a fattened duck or geese, this delicacy is quite smooth and creamy and is often spread on a piece of baguette or toast. Where to Eat: Le Comptoir de La Gastronomie
Croissant – One of the best breakfast dishes to eat in Paris is the buttery, lightweight croissant. There are different fillings available in this but the chocolate croissant is the most delicious option. Where to Eat: Des Gâteaux et du Pain
Escargot – For non-vegetarians or seafood lovers, one of the top French delicacies to try in Paris is escargot. This dish is made up of snails cooked in garlic butter or truffle butter and is extremely delicious. Where to Eat: Bouillon Cartier
Hacks & Tips to Visit Paris in August
- Paris in August is a little crowded so, you might have to wait in long queues outside the attractions. To avoid the crowd, arrive early at the attractions and buy skip-the-line tickets.
- Go on a river cruise or walk along the Seine to enjoy the lovely, warm weather in August.
- Keep a note of all the festivals and events happening in Paris in August so that you can plan your visit in advance.
- Buy your flight tickets and book your hotel reservations in advance to avoid last-minute price hikes.
- Save money by walking in the city and using public transportation to explore the different attractions.
- Carry an umbrella at all times as it can rain suddenly in Paris in August.
- Be wary of the tourist scams and petty thefts that are common in tourist areas.
- Learn to speak a few common French words to navigate easily around the city.
- When you are going out to eat, always call ahead to reserve a seat in the restaurant.
All Your Questions About Visiting Paris in August Answered
It is warm and muggy in Paris in August with temperatures fluctuating between a maximum of 25°C and a minimum of 15°C.
Yes, you can swim in open-air swimming pools in Paris in August. The water temperature is 27°C, making it perfect for a swim.
Yes, Paris experiences 10 hours of daily sunshine in August when it is not raining.
August is a warm month to visit Paris with an average temperature high of 25°C. As a result, cotton and lightweight clothes are perfect to wear for outdoor excursions. You can wear dresses, skirts, shorts, tees, etc. during the day. If you are going to enjoy the beaches in Paris, then do carry beachwear too.
Yes, the average number of rainy days in Paris in August is 12.3.
Yes, Paris in August is slightly expensive as it is a popular tourist season in the city. This is why visitors are recommended to purchase their tickets in advance to avoid paying high fares later on.
Overall, Paris is a safe city but there are chances of theft and other petty crimes. So, be careful when you are visiting crowded places and events in the city.
A few top attractions to visit in Paris in August are the Catacombs of Paris, the Eiffel Tower, the Louvre Museum, and so on.
The average temperature in Paris in August ranges between a high of 25°C and a low of 15°C.
If you are traveling with kids, then the top places to visit in Paris in August are Disneyland Paris, Eiffel Tower, Seine River, and so on.
Rock en Seine Festival, Liberation of Paris, Paris Beer Festival, Jazz A La Villette, and Assumption day are a few main festivals in Paris in August.
Paris Plages, Paris Punk Rock Summer, La Fête Foraine des Tuileries, Open-Air Cinema Outdoor Movies, and Paris Punk Rock Summer are the main events to attend in Paris in August.