Best Time to Visit Paris | Weather, Events, and Things to do | Must-Read
Paris, the City of Light, with its incomparable aura and countless delights, attracts millions of people every year. The delectable cuisine and expansive art collections add to the city's appeal. The Seine meanders across the city, bordered by majestic museums, millennia-old churches, and squares of Rococo and Neoclassical architecture, all of which are complemented by flowing trees and luminous street lamps. There's something truly wonderful about the city and if you're wondering which is the best time to visit Paris, we have got just the guide for you.
What's the Best Time to Visit Paris?
Best Months for Staying Outdoors in Paris: March - May
Best Months for Sightseeing & Museum Hopping: March - August
Best Months for Honeymooners: June - August | September - October
Best Months for Budget Travelers: November - February
Best Months for Shopaholics: January - July
When: June - mid-September | Mid-to-late December
What to Expect:
- The summer months, when the kids are out of school, and the December holiday season, are when Paris is busiest with tourists.
- Museums, monuments, and most other tourist attractions will have long queues.
- Peak flight prices and hotel occupancy can be expected during these times.
When: April - May | September - November
What to Expect:
- Spring and fall are your best bets for finding that perfect combination of pleasant sightseeing weather and slightly fewer crowds.
- Although rates remain high, hotel and dining reservations may be marginally quicker to come by during these periods.
- The cost of air travel is often more affordable.
When: January - March
What to Expect:
- The weather is usually chilly and wet.
- Visitors will be rewarded with lower crowds and lines at major tourist destinations if they don't mind the rain.
- Off-season travelers will discover fantastic bargains on airfare and hotel costs.
Seasons in Paris
March - May
Average Temperatures: 4°C Low - 19°C High
Spring in Paris begins cold, with daily highs of roughly 12°C in March, making it a popular season to explore the French capital. By May, the weather warms up to a delightful 20°C, ideal for a day spent touring the city's lovely gardens and parks.
Travel Tips: Throughout the season, the nights are cool, and mild rains are not uncommon. Just in case, keep a lightweight jacket with a zip-on hood in your bag.
June - August
Average Temperatures: 13°C Low - 24°C High
This is the height of Paris' tourist season, which is accompanied by sweltering heat. Daily highs of at least 25°C are expected, with cool nights of around 13°C. While these temperatures aren’t too bad the humidity in Paris can make it feel even hotter.
Travel Tips: Picnic at the Champs de Mars Gardens in front of the Eiffel Tower while the sun shines brilliantly.
September - December
Average Temperatures: 5°C Low - 21°C High
Autumn in Paris has a tremendous bustle. Beginning in October, temperatures drop significantly, but if you've brought a jacket, autumn is the ideal season for long walks through beautiful neighborhoods and a promenade along the Seine River.
Travel Tips: Brace yourself for the possibility of a cool rain shower and a gust of wind. The daily highs range from 8°C to 17°C, so dress warmly!
January - February
Average Temperatures: 2°C Low - 8°C High
Winter in Paris is definitely a special time of year, despite the shorter days and substantially wetter weather. The French capital gleams in the glory of festive holiday lights, keeping to its moniker of "City of Light."
Travel Tips: Spend your afternoons relaxing with a glass of wine and a delicious baguette while watching the Eiffel Tower light up in front of you!
Recommended Attractions in Paris
Best Time to Visit Paris: Month on Month Guide
Hacks & Tips to Visit Paris
- Paris is known for its unpredictable weather. In the summer, it can be hot and humid, while in the winter it can be cold and windy. Here are a few tips for dealing with the Paris weather:
- Wear layers: This will help you to stay warm in the winter and cool in the summer.
- Bring an umbrella: The weather in Paris can change very quickly, so it's always a good idea to have an umbrella with you.
- Stay hydrated: The weather in Paris can be very dry, so make sure to drink plenty of water.
- In the summer months, Paris can be very busy with tourists. In order to avoid the crowds, it is best to visit museums and attractions in the morning.
- If you're looking for a more relaxing trip to Paris, you can always visit during the winter. The weather is milder and there are fewer tourists around.
- The best way to get around Paris is by metro. The Paris Metro is one of the most efficient and affordable metros in Europe. There are also a number of buses and trams that can take you around the city at an affordable price.
- Don't miss the Louvre. The lines to get into this museum can be long, but purchasing a skip-the-line ticket will let you right in!
- Discover the Latin Quarter and fill up on macarons from Laduree. This neighborhood has an ideal combination of inexpensive restaurants and cute little shops.
- Visit the Eiffel Tower at night. You can get a skip-the-line ticket for the Eiffel Tower if you want to avoid long lines and enjoy it during sunset instead of during the day.
Know More About the Best Time to Visit Paris
June to August and September to October are the ideal months to visit Paris. The weather in Paris is excellent from June through August, with average highs in the high 70s and long days of sunshine.
The summer months, as well as the December rush of shopping and seasonal events, are high season in Paris; June through mid-September and mid-to-late December, respectively.
The hottest month of the year in Paris is July, with an average high of 76°F and low of 58°F.
The coldest month of the year in Paris is January, with an average low of 36°F and high of 44°F.
December is the wettest month in Paris, with an average rainfall of 1.8 inches.
March to August are the best months to go sight-seeing in Paris thanks to the pleasant weather for the most part.
Paris is the least crowded in March.
November to the end of March is when you can get budget deals in Paris.
You can visit the Paris-Plage beach, attend music and art festivals, and enjoy a picnic at the Eiffel Tower gardens in Paris in Summer.
You can watch an opera, visit the Louvre, explore the many Christmas markets and go ice-skating in Paris in Winter.
In Paris in Spring, you can embark on a Seine river cruise, visit the Rodin Museum sculpture garden, and explore the Louvre at night.
You can visit the Eiffel Tower at sunset, explore the Luxembourg Palace and gardens, and explore the Catacombs in Paris in Autumn.
The best time to visit Paris with kids is from April to June and October to early November as the weather is mild and enjoyable and there are a lot of kid-friendly activities available.
The best time to visit Paris for couples is from June to August since the weather is amazing and there are long days of sunshine.
The best time to visit Paris when traveling solo is from June to August and September to October.
January and July are both great months to visit Paris for shopping.