Best Time to Visit Paris in 2022 | Weather, Events, and Things to do | Must-Read
Paris, the City of Light, with its incomparable aura and countless delights, attracts millions of people every year. The delectable cuisine and expansive art collections add to the city's appeal. The Seine meanders across the city, bordered by majestic museums, millennia-old churches, and squares of Rococo and Neoclassical architecture, all of which are complemented by flowing trees and luminous street lamps. There's something truly wonderful about the city and if you're wondering which is the best time to visit Paris, we have got just the guide for you.
What's the Best Time to Visit Paris?
Best Months for Staying Outdoors in Paris: March - May
Best Months for Sightseeing & Museum Hopping: March - August
Best Months for Honeymooners: June - August | September - October
Best Months for Budget Travelers: November - February
Best Months for Shopaholics: January - July
When: June - mid-September | Mid-to-late December
What to Expect:
- The summer months, when the kids are out of school, and the December holiday season, are when Paris is busiest with tourists.
- Museums, monuments, and most other tourist attractions will have long queues.
- Peak flight prices and hotel occupancy can be expected during these times.
When: April - May | September - November
What to Expect:
- Spring and fall are your best bets for finding that perfect combination of pleasant sightseeing weather and slightly fewer crowds.
- Although rates remain high, hotel and dining reservations may be marginally quicker to come by during these periods.
- The cost of air travel is often more affordable.
When: January - March
What to Expect:
- The weather is usually chilly and wet.
- Visitors will be rewarded with lower crowds and lines at major tourist destinations if they don't mind the rain.
- Off-season travelers will discover fantastic bargains on airfare and hotel costs.
Seasons in Paris
March - May
Average Temperatures: 4°C Low - 19°C High
Spring in Paris begins cold, with daily highs of roughly 12°C in March, making it a popular season to explore the French capital. By May, the weather warms up to a delightful 20°C, ideal for a day spent touring the city's lovely gardens and parks.
Travel Tips: Throughout the season, the nights are cool, and mild rains are not uncommon. Just in case, keep a lightweight jacket with a zip-on hood in your bag.
June - August
Average Temperatures: 13°C Low - 24°C High
This is the height of Paris' tourist season, which is accompanied by sweltering heat. Daily highs of at least 25°C are expected, with cool nights of around 13°C. While these temperatures aren’t too bad the humidity in Paris can make it feel even hotter.
Travel Tips: Picnic at the Champs de Mars Gardens in front of the Eiffel Tower while the sun shines brilliantly.
September - December
Average Temperatures: 5°C Low - 21°C High
Autumn in Paris has a tremendous bustle. Beginning in October, temperatures drop significantly, but if you've brought a jacket, autumn is the ideal season for long walks through beautiful neighborhoods and a promenade along the Seine River.
Travel Tips: Brace yourself for the possibility of a cool rain shower and a gust of wind. The daily highs range from 8°C to 17°C, so dress warmly!
January - February
Average Temperatures: 2°C Low - 8°C High
Winter in Paris is definitely a special time of year, despite the shorter days and substantially wetter weather. The French capital gleams in the glory of festive holiday lights, keeping to its moniker of "City of Light."
Travel Tips: Spend your afternoons relaxing with a glass of wine and a delicious baguette while watching the Eiffel Tower light up in front of you!
Recommended Attractions in Paris
Best Time to Visit Paris: Month on Month Guide
Average Temperatures: 8° - 3°C
The month of January in Paris is laid-back and relaxed. The sleepiness of early winter has passed. The holiday frenzy has subsided, and the New Year ushers in a series of long days. The month of January is the coldest in Paris, with highs in the single digits throughout the day.
Travel Tips: To avoid the rain and cold in January, explore Paris' intricate, exquisite network of covered passages.
Things to do in Paris in January:
- Visit the Eiffel Tower
- The Paris-Athens Exhibition at the Louvre
- Embark on a Montmartre walking tour
- Visit Musée d'Orsay & Musée de l'Orangerie.
Average Temperature: 9° - 3°C
February in Paris is still a winter month, which means it's cold and rainy most of the time. Blossoms begin to appear on some trees before the end of the month. February is a peaceful month in general, making it ideal for sightseeing and taking in the festive spirit of festivals such as the Chinese New Year.
Travel Tips: On the 1st and 2nd of February, over 120 landmarks and workplaces in Paris will be open to the public as part of Paris Face Cachee.
Things to do in Paris in February:
- Enjoy a Seine Dinner Cruise
- Watch the iconic Moulin Rouge Show
- Visit the Palace of Versailles
- Visit the Opera Garnier.
Average Temperature: 13° - 5°C
If you visit Paris in March, you will witness the beginning of spring. In the city parks, the trees will begin to blossom, and spring flowers will push their way through the earth. In March, Paris is alive with festivals celebrating food, music, film, and the arts.
Travel Tips: In March, the weather in Paris may be temperamental. Pack a combination of winter and summer clothes to avoid falling sick.
Things to do in Paris in March:
- Visit Disneyland Paris
- Visit the Louvre Museum
- Attend the Paris Book Fair from 15-18 March
- View the iconic Mardi Gras carnival.
Average Temperature: 17° - 8°C
April is a fantastic month to visit Paris, but it is also extremely busy. In April, spring has arrived with Paris, and despite the frequent showers, the city is awash in flowers. April is a terrific month for sightseeing, outdoor activities, and day trips outside of the capital since it combines metropolitan perfection with bustling people.
Travel Tips: Since flowers are in full bloom in Paris in April, take a stroll around one of the city's many parks, such as the Parc Floral de Paris, the Jardin des Tuileries, or the Jardin des Plantes.
Things to do in Paris in April:
- Visit the Montparnasse Tower
- Attend the Paris Foire du Trône
- View the Paris Art Fair
- Celebrate Passover in Parisian style.
Average Temperature: 20° - 11°C
Paris is at its best in May. The city comes alive with visitors when the weather warms up and they flock to the streets and parks. At this time of year, the tourist season begins to pick up, so you won't have the city to yourself, but the city will be at its finest, and there will be plenty to do and see.
Travel Tips: Make the most of sunny days by getting out of the city for a while. On one of the numerous easy day trips from Paris, you'll find fresh air, history, architecture, and even beautiful hiking trails.
Things to do in Paris in May:
- Start with the stunning Eiffel Tower
- Marvel at the many wonders of the Louvre
- Visit the grand Palace of Versailles
- Attend the Taste of Paris Festival or the French Open.
Average Temperature: 24° - 14°C
June may be the most delightful of all the summer months in Paris. The weather is normally warm, and while the occasional thunderstorm may cut picnics and strolls short, the sticky, oppressive heat of July and August isn't typically present.
Travel Tips: Starting in June, the Tuileries Garden in Paris hosts the 'Fete de Tuileries,' a children's fair with many attractions, activities, and rides. The fair is open to the public every Friday and Saturday from 11 a.m. until 1 a.m. from June through August.
Things to do in Paris in June:
- Visit the Palace of Versailles
- Watch a Paris Cabaret
- Go on a Seine dinner cruise
- Embark on an enthralling trip to the Catacombs.
Average Temperature: 26° - 16°C
With the arrival of summer, a vacation to Paris in July is sure to be a frenzy of fun and celebrations. The month of July is ideal for enjoying Parisian café culture, with bar stools and striped chairs spilling out onto the wide boulevards and the aroma of coffee drifting through the air. The moderate temperatures also make leisurely strolls highly enjoyable.
Travel Tips: While the weather in July is generally pleasant, it is advisable to have an umbrella at all times because it can rain at any time of day.
Things to do in Paris in July:
- Visit Sainte Chapelle
- Attend the Carnaval Tropical De Paris
- View the Bastille Day celebrations
- Spectate the famed Tour de France.
Average Temperature: 25° - 16°C
Tourists will have a wonderful time in Paris in August! The Paris Plages, the Open Air Cinema Festival, and the Rock en Seine Festival are just a few of the open-air events that Paris has to offer to enjoy its weather. Visit Paris in August if you want to take a leisurely tour of the city with fewer crowds, shorter queues, and pleasant, summer weather.
Travel Tips: In August, you can enjoy a stroll down the Seine - book a boat or a river walking tour, and bring a picnic for a memorable experience!
Things to do in Paris in August:
- Visit Orsay & Musée de L’Orangerie
- Visit the Louvre
- Attend cinema outdoors at Parc de la Villette
- Headbang at the Rock en Seine Festival.
Average Temperature: 22° - 13°C
September is an excellent month to visit Paris and take advantage of the nice autumn weather. Parisians prepare for a variety of cultural and festive events following the summer break. Summer celebrations continue with several festivals, events, exhibitions, and concerts.
Travel Tips: The Paris Design Week is a one-of-a-kind event that celebrates the work of designers across a wide range of disciplines.
Things to do in Paris in September:
- Experience the night fountain show at Versailles
- Visit the Orsay & Musée de L’Orangerie museums
- Head to Mont St Michel island
- Embark on a day trip to Champagne.
Average Temperature: 17° - 10°C
Paris is a fantastic destination to visit in October. The summer throngs have dissipated, people are more comfortable, and it's an uplifting sight to see the avenues and parks take on their autumn reflections, with the warm light of streetlamps illuminating the mat of fallen leaves. The wine and food festivals have returned to town as the summer heat passes.
Travel Tips: Between October 10 and 14, don't miss the Montmartre Wine Harvest Festival. Enjoy the harvest festival ambiance while sampling local cuisine, wine tasting, and watching fireworks and street performances.
Things to do in Paris in October:
- Explore the Louvre Museum
- Visit Claude Monet's Garden
- Attend the Nuit Blanche art festival
- Witness the spectacular Paris Fashion Week.
Paris in October Guide
Average Temperature: 11° - 6°C
November in Paris is a peaceful month, a respite before the start of the Christmas or festive season. November marks the start of the low season in Paris, which is almost the only time of year when the city is devoid of tourists. This means that if you visit Paris in November, you will witness a more authentic city.
Travel Tips: Choose from a variety of day trips from Paris, including a guided tour of the Reims Champagne Region, a day in Provins, or a full day trip to Disneyland Paris.
Things to do in Paris in November:
- Visit the Arc de Triomphe and Armistice Day
- Attend the famous Moulin Rouge Show
- Events include the France Beaujolais Nouveau Festival
- View Disney’s Magical Fireworks and Bonfire
Average Temperature: 8° - 4°C
The month of December is a fantastic time to visit Paris. The weather is chilly and brisk, but the city is alive and well, with bustling cafes, stunning lights and decorations on the streets, and a diverse cultural program for both locals and visitors. Paris at Christmas time, of course, offers fantastic shopping and festive activities for the whole family!
Travel Tips: As several landmarks are closed throughout the winter, make sure you do your research before planning your day.
Things to do in Paris in December:
- Experience the Sainte Chapelle Christmas Concerts
- View the light show in Champs-Elysées
- Check out the charming Christmas Village in Trocadero.
Hacks & Tips to Visit Paris
- Paris is known for its unpredictable weather. In the summer, it can be hot and humid, while in the winter it can be cold and windy. Here are a few tips for dealing with the Paris weather:
- Wear layers: This will help you to stay warm in the winter and cool in the summer.
- Bring an umbrella: The weather in Paris can change very quickly, so it's always a good idea to have an umbrella with you.
- Stay hydrated: The weather in Paris can be very dry, so make sure to drink plenty of water.
- In the summer months, Paris can be very busy with tourists. In order to avoid the crowds, it is best to visit museums and attractions in the morning.
- If you're looking for a more relaxing trip to Paris, you can always visit during the winter. The weather is milder and there are fewer tourists around.
- The best way to get around Paris is by metro. The Paris Metro is one of the most efficient and affordable metros in Europe. There are also a number of buses and trams that can take you around the city at an affordable price.
- Don't miss the Louvre. The lines to get into this museum can be long, but purchasing a skip-the-line ticket will let you right in!
- Discover the Latin Quarter and fill up on macarons from Laduree. This neighborhood has an ideal combination of inexpensive restaurants and cute little shops.
- Visit the Eiffel Tower at night. You can get a skip-the-line ticket for the Eiffel Tower if you want to avoid long lines and enjoy it during sunset instead of during the day.
Know More About the Best Time to Visit Paris
June to August and September to October are the ideal months to visit Paris. The weather in Paris is excellent from June through August, with average highs in the high 70s and long days of sunshine.
The summer months, as well as the December rush of shopping and seasonal events, are high season in Paris; June through mid-September and mid-to-late December, respectively.
The hottest month of the year in Paris is July, with an average high of 76°F and low of 58°F.
The coldest month of the year in Paris is January, with an average low of 36°F and high of 44°F.
December is the wettest month in Paris, with an average rainfall of 1.8 inches.
March to August are the best months to go sight-seeing in Paris thanks to the pleasant weather for the most part.
Paris is the least crowded in March.
November to the end of March is when you can get budget deals in Paris.
You can visit the Eiffel Tower at sunset, explore the Luxembourg Palace and gardens, and explore the Catacombs in Paris in Autumn.
The best time to visit Paris with kids is from April to June and October to early November as the weather is mild and enjoyable and there are a lot of kid-friendly activities available.
The best time to visit Paris for couples is from June to August since the weather is amazing and there are long days of sunshine.
The best time to visit Paris when traveling solo is from June to August and September to October.
January and July are both great months to visit Paris for shopping.